From dining at the world’s best Michelin-starred restaurant to staying in a luxurious 11th century castle, here’s why Costa Brava is the ideal romantic getaway in Europe!
Costa Brava is a coastal region of Catalonia in northeastern Spain known for its virgin beaches and bays against the scenic backdrop of heavily wooded hills. One of the most stunning coastlines in the country, this hidden gem is only a 2-hour drive from Barcelona and offers several experiences for couples looking for offbeat romantic vacations in Europe. V.R. Costa Brava, a destination management firm has curated a series of dreamy things for couples and honeymooners on their holiday to Costa Brava:
- Picnic on the hidden beaches of Costa Brava – When it comes to laid-back romance, the region has plenty of options like the beach cove of Cala Jugadora on the Cap de Creus coastline or the sandy beaches of Cala Portaló. These secluded spots allow couples to bring an al fresco picnic along with pristine beach views for a romantic day trip.
- Sunset cruise and dinner at the world’s best Michelin-starred restaurant – Witness a magical sunset on a catamaran cruise in the beautiful city of Roses or in Empuriabrava, also known as the Venice of Spain. Top this up with a once-in-a-lifetime dining experience at the three Michelin-starred restaurant, El Celler de Can Roca in Girona, also voted among the world’s Top 50 best restaurants. For a cosier vibe, couples can head to Ibèric that serves specialty gastronomy like lobster noodles and rice, snails à la patarrellada, crayfish and fish stews. For an experiential dining experience, visit the 16th century converted farmhouse eatery Galena Mas Comangau, where you can dine in the stone room with its romantic adjoining terrace.
- Get adventurous with Skydiving or a hot air balloon ride – Costa Brava is a dream destination for couples with an adventurous spirit. Take a day trip to Garrotxa National Park where you can hike up ancient volcanoes and go for a couple’s bike ride. Alternatively, an ultimate romantic experience is a hot balloon ride over breathtaking views of the park while sipping on some of the best wines picked by the best sommeliers. Empuriabrava, the largest residential marina in the world has 24 kms of canals surrounded by beautiful mansions, villas and 5,000 private jetties. One of the best skydiving zones in the world, opt for a sunset sky dive with your partner ticking off the most scenic experience of a lifetime!
- A castle for a couple – V.R. Costa Brava offers an opportunity to stay at a 11th century castle called Cortal Gran in wherein couples can enjoy the grandeur and soak in the romance of medieval luxury! Is there anything more luxurious than having an entire castle to yourself and your loved one?
- Soak in the medieval history & culture – Costa Brava being the epicenter of culture, there are several romantic cultural experiences that one can indulge in. Be it exploring Salvador Dali’s house-turned-museum in Portligat or visiting one of the world’s biggest fortress, Sant Ferran Castle followed by Catalan tapas at a nearby eatery. Explore the fortress on foot and travel through the underground canals by boat. The town of Besalú during dusk is a treat with its 12th century bridge over the Fluvià river and its vintage alleyways. There are historic tours covering Miqve (Jewish baths), the Church of Sant Vincenç and the Sant Pau Monastery as well.
- Propose at Cala Bramant – Also known as Cala de los Enamorados, it is a cove of the Costa Brava shaped like a bathtub. Surrounded by cliffs and located in Llançà, this cove is known for many proposals owing to its romantic atmosphere and tranquility making it the most special of the romantic getaway in the Costa Brava region of Spain